Since 1928, The Sandusky State Theatre has been an area landmark and continues to serve as a top entertainment destination for the entire Erie County region. The Sandusky State Theatre has been in operation for 82 years and has served the community in many entertainment capacities functioning as a top Vaudeville theatre, movie palace, and world-class performing arts center.
Founded in 1988, The Sandusky State Theatre is an historic, 1500 seat theatre that originally opened as a vaudeville and movie house. In 1992, the Theatre underwent a major renovation project and has since that time become Erie County's largest not-for-profit arts organization.
By presenting and producing Re-opening of the State Theatre 9-12-2006 programming of artistic, social, and educational merit, The Sandusky State Theatre is committed to serving the diverse needs of the community and as a catalyst to the revitalization of Sandusky's historic downtown district.
Billed as "The Million Dollar Entertainment Center" - the Theatre was privately operated as a touring road house and movie theatre for six decades. It was placed on the National Registry of Historical Places in 1982 in an effort to preserve the structure as movie audiences had migrated to mall cinemas.
The Sandusky State Theatre now reigns as a showplace for the live performing arts and film, and is dedicated to helping create and preserve the cultural heritage of the community well into the 21st century.
The Sandusky State Theatre is a proud member of the League of Historic American Theatres, Theatre Historical Society of America, Ohio Arts Council, Association of Performing Arts Presenters, International Ticketing Association, Erie County Chamber of Commerce and the Sandusky Main Street Association.